This page includes links to UVic regulations and information pages for questions most commonly raised by undergraduate students in the ombuds office.

It pays off to resolve problems or disputes early and constructively!

The ombuds office offers confidential consultations if you have questions about your rights and responsibilities, or if you are not sure how to resolve an academic or administrative problem, a dispute, an appeal or a complaint. Be proactive – don’t hesitate to call or email!

Academic and non-academic regulations

UVic Calendar:

The calendar contains official academic policies and procedures. If you have trouble navigating these policies or aren’t sure how they apply to you, the ombudsperson, academic advising or another relevant office can help you clarify.

Minimum standing and other requirements:

Students must meet minimum GPA and other requirements to continue in their program. Undergraduate students in Humanities, Science or Social Sciences can consult Academic Advising. Students in other faculties and in professional programs should consult their advising office.

Writing and citations:

The Learning and Teaching Centre provides information and support about the academic integrity policy and how to avoid plagiarism. The Writing Centre can help you with the writing process through one-on-one tutors, an English as a second language drop-in, and many workshops.

Academic concession:

You may request an academic concession when facing an illness (e.g. physical, psychological, psychiatric), accident, injury, or a family or personal affliction or crisis. Examples: a deadline extension, a make-up or other arrangement for a missed test, a deferral into the following term, a withdrawal or a drop from a course. For an aegrotat grade, a course withdrawal or drops past the drop deadlines or a deferral beyond the end of the term, you must use the official Request for Academic Concession (RAC) form, normally within a 10-day deadline from the end of the exam period for the term. See also options and procedures.

Accommodation for students with a disability:

UVic is committed to an inclusive learning environment and the full participation of students with disabilities. The policy encourages students to register early with the Resource Centre for Students with a Disability. Contact the centre to understand options and steps in requesting and arranging for suitable individual academic accommodations.

The UVic policy website:

Policies on a wide range of other regulations and topics, such as accommodation on days of religious observance, conflict of interest, equity, human rights, non-academic (mis)conduct, intellectual property and privacy.


How to write an appeal:

You need to follow the regulations, expectations and processes relevant to your academic or professional program. Consult the appropriate UVic webpage, academic advisor or administrative unit. If you can’t find the process you need, or for feedback or help before appealing or at any point in an appeal, feel free to consult the ombudsperson.

Academic appeals:

See the section above for common academic issues that may lead to appeals. The order that you should try to resolve an academic issue is: first, the course instructor; second, appeal to the head of the department; third, appeal to the dean of the faculty; and finally, appeal to the Senate Committee on Appeals.

Grade appeal:

You must attempt to resolve grade issues directly with your course instructor. You can expect corrective comments and request to view unreturned and final exams. Keep copies of all your returned work. If the issue is not resolved with the instructor, you may appeal directly to the head of the department or you may be asked to submit an official grade review using the Records Services form normally within 21 days of the grade being available. (There is a $25.00 fee refunded only if the grade is raised.) The grade obtained through a review becomes the final grade, whether it is the same, higher or lower than the original grade. Each faculty has a specific procedure available online or from the relevant dean or advising office.

Fee reduction appeal:

You are responsible for dropping courses you no longer wish to attend. Missing a deadline is not ground for an appeal. Familiarize yourself with academic drop dates as well as fee reduction drop dates. Many summer deadlines are shorter and courses have different drop deadlines. If you miss the fee reduction deadline for reasons such as illness, family or personal affliction or accident, you may appeal to the Fee Reduction Appeal Committee (FRAC). If it is too late for dropping the course online, see “academic concession” above first.

Admission, re-registration, and transfer appeals:

The Senate Committee on Admission, Re-registration and Transfer (SCART) reviews appeals from students who were denied admission or re-registration to UVic or who were required to withdraw from UVic because of low GPA. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for current SCART meeting dates and submission deadlines. In making a decision, SCART adheres strictly to established criteria: see the appeal form.

Student life